About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Time moves on...



So the excitement of my time here has subsided- I have settled into a bit of a routine. I still find the work invigorating, and just what I want. I have been pulled off delegations again-but I imagine it is just for a little while. I am in the middle of composing some letters that will be submitted to different parishes for the consideration of the pastor and the parish community. Next, I am going to be putting together some binders for the submission process-more on that later.
I have not been able to get together for theological reflection—so I find myself trying to figure out how God is present in these situations. I have written a bit about the racism that I have seen in my time down here. What I have not spent to much time thinking about or writing about is what I see as the churches response to these issues. The bishop of the diocese of Phoenix-Bishop Olmstead published a document on immigration in the diocesan paper- The Catholic Sun. So it seems that there is education (somewhat from the authority of the church) that is going on within the faith tradition that I am a part of. Yet, I still have a sense of outrage on behalf of those here. I wonder about harnessing the outrage. I think that outrage is an unsung tool. There is so much to be outraged about.
• Living Wages
• Affordable Health Care
• Safe Working Conditions
• Sick Days and Vacation Days
• Adequate safety and Vocational Training
• A voice on the job and the ability to participate in workplace decisions
What happens when we as a society refuse or struggle to take care of one another when we are working? I understand the need for a company to make profits- and the risk that is a natural bi-product of those profits. My issue stems from when those profits risk the health and well being of those who are bringing about the profits, literally by the sweat of their brow. I think that God is here, God is present I in the faces of the men and women that I am working with.

No comments: