About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Liturgical Beauty...




It has been a summer of working, doing service. I haven't really made that much of an effort to participate in liturgical services since I have been here. Liturgical services (Mass) have been generally been an important part of my life and expression of faith. My fear is that I have become a bit of a liturgy snob since going to school at the Liturgical school of the world!

I went to mass today with Joseph. The music was a strong reminder that I am not in Collegeville. There was a “wejus” prayer over the visiting Maryknoll priest at the end that was impromptu, and for a moment I thought I was in a different church.
That being said- the bad music aside- everyone was singing! Instead of exiting with crying babies from the church, mothers stood with babies in their arms and rocked them quietly while remaining in the pew. The greeting at the beginning of Mass- before the opening prayer was genuine and friendly- people who were a “stretch” for me to reach were not content with a friendly wave hello-they made the move to shake my hand and say hello. The entire community responded to questions with words and gestures. It was a “physical” liturgical celebration, down to the procession that every one took to put their contributions in the basket by the altar.
Needless to say, this was a very moving liturgy for me to participate in with this fantastic community. Thanks St. Matthews Catholic Parish in Phoenix, Arizona.

No comments: