About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Productive Discomfort Zones and Me


I was reading my friend Laura's blog( see the link)-and she was writing about stepping out of her comfort zone. I was a bit amazed- because that is a phrase I heard last night. I was definitely out of my comfort zone. I was attending part 1 of a 7 week “class” on how to do community organizing. The people that were gathered had a specific target in mind- the elections in November and specifically how to ensure that the sheriff of Maricopa County, Joe Arpio is not re-elected. The speaker, a local community organizer used the term “productive discomfort zone”. I readily identified with this term.

Since I have been here in Arizona I have found myself getting more and more agitated about the circumstances that I hear about here in Maricopa County. I wonder about my ability to live in this kind of environment, and really struggle even with the selfishness of this questioning. I am not the target, I am just someone who has a voice-which I recognizes bears responsibility to speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.

I was listening to a program on NPR, and was intrigued by the woman who was speaking out a couple of years ago against a Worker’s Rights Center being built in their West Virginia neighborhood. This woman was insistent that before the Center be built, the people who would frequent such a building should learn proper English (speech and writing), proper use of electrical appliances (huh?) and proper hygene practices. [*Sidenote: I think I sucked the air out of the office after hearing this woman.]
Needless to say, I think that I have been living in my productive discomfort zone. I anticipate that I will continue to live in this ambiguous state as I continue to live here in Phoenix. It on a whole is a great community, and is awesome to see so many people who gather to learn how to educate themselves, and demand the change in the systems.

I will be visiting the Grand Canyon this weekend, so there will be some great pics and I am sure some musings next week.

1 comment:

Laura @ Mothering Spirit said...

Amen, sista! Here's to surprising summers and challenging ministry. I am eager to hear what you learn about community organizing since this is an area of work for justice where I would love to get more experience in the future.

Blessings on your work (and happy thoughts from the Local Blend - if only you were here to laugh loudly with me while others try to sip their coffee in peace...)