About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Time Out!



So, my summer is about 2/3 over. I have been working lots, but there has also been some great play time. I have been to Las Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and one of the local lakes (note the photo-after that picture I immediately turned into a lobster!-oh but also check out the mountains behind me!!!) I have developed some great relationships with people down here. It has been a fun, challenging and provoking time.

I have done quite a bit of thinking over the summer, and trying to figure out what exactly this all means for me. I have had several conversations in the last couple of weeks with different people asking me what my plans are after graduation. Since I really have no idea, I really have nothing to say. I just resort to my old standby. Move to Rome, get a realtor’s license and put the Vatican up for sale and feed Africa for eternity.

So as I declare a time out, and try to pause for some reflection, I am no closer to solving this puzzle of my life right now. I spoke with John Mark last night (one of my best friends and greatest men I will have the opportunity to meet) and he was so affirming, and was certainly not surprised when I articulated that I wanted to think more seriously about religious organizing. (I need to do something that obviously allows for religious and faithful expression.)

I see that there is a potential for great movement and ability to allow for transformation within the lives of people. I have been participating in weekly meetings about how to organize. Since this is still new for me, I feel that there is so much for me to learn. One of the points established early on was that we speak for ourselves, and not for others. I have thought about this rule a lot in the last couple of weeks. What does it mean when I “advocate” or “speak” for others? There is a desire for redemption- is that why I feel such strong pangs to be involved in these issues of immigration, worker’s rights, environmental concerns and peace prospects. Is it enough for desire? Does there have to be more? What else is needed?

No comments: