About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

God is...


“Let nothing bother you
Let noting dismay you
Everything passes
Patience gains all
God alone is enough”
~St. Teresa of Avila
I found this quote again in the book that I am reading for my ILP. (The book is delightful and prompts great examinations.)
I found the prayer of St. Teresa profound for my week. My week consisted of no delegations (so far), very little interaction with the strikers, and mostly meetings with area priests and pastoral workers. All of the meetings have been fruitful in their own right- some we will be visiting again simply because there is more there that we are going to be able to do. Others, we will not visit again-because they are already set.
Let nothing bother you…there are times when I really have to wonder how the situation got to the point where I am called to this part of the world. How could things have disintegrated so far that it is even necessary to have people employed to speak and advocate for the needs of others.
Let nothing dismay you…I continue to seek God in the daily living here in Phoenix. It seems easier sometimes than others. I was driving with Joseph, my supervisor from a meeting with a member of the staff at the ASU Newman Center and a police officer was sitting in his pickup truck with the air conditioner on, full blast watching a group of Hispanic men cross the street away from him. I am trying to find God more and more often. Most often I encounter God when I am speaking to the strikers.
Everything passes…my time here in Phoenix is slipping away. I would love to see this plan and project through to the end, yet I know that this is not possible. It seems to go against my nature to begin something and then not see it through. I can think of 3 times in my life where this has happened. This project will make 4. Interesting.
Patience gains all…I am NOT a patient person. Enough said.
God alone is enough…in our reflection time today, I spoke about the word abide. We are told that if we abide in Jesus, Jesus will abide in us. I found this to be comforting. It served to remind me that this is not all dependent upon me, my supervisors, or even the strikers. Whatever the motivation we come to this journey with, I find comfort in remembering that this is not about me- and that I am able to be in solidarity with my brothers and sisters.

So, to answer my statement- God is everywhere. God is here in the imperfections of the people. God is in the tears, the laughter and the hearts of people.

No comments: