About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ripping off Band-Aids!


It is such a rare treat for me that I am able to be far enough on top of my game to post more than once in a week!!! (sidenote: as I am writing this post I am listening to Iranian public classical radio! it is fantastic- and I am sporting my new specs!)

What happens when we carry anger and bitterness with us from one place to another? While the question is a bit rhetorical- it has given me some pause for consideration today.
When I first came to Minnesota, I was leaving a position- one that I cherished, but at the same time felt I had grown out of. There had been some personal tribulations that I faced, but for the most part, I really did just want to go and further my own academic career and be more engaged in my own faith and theological understandings. So, when I left, I felt I was leaving one place with a firm foundation in self. About a month before I actually left though, I received a confusing note that alluded to my work performance. I was a bit confused as that had never been a problem previously- or if it was- it was not known to me.
Before that position, I was employed at another place and left that establishment with less than stellar feelings about the town, the people, and the life of working in a church. I just received an email from my mother today who was forwarding an email to me written by a friend from this town. They are looking to hire for their church again, and the gist of a comment was, “We haven’t had a solid person in this position since the blonde (me) was here. She didn’t yell at the kids and was really involved.”
I find it amazing what time and distance will do to heal hurts. I tend to carry my hurts with me. I wear some of them as badges and others are armor. What is the need to continue to protect ourselves from these hurts? Do we think that these protections will truly keep us from being wounded again? I have been on this earth just a short time, but in that time I have adapted myself very well to the American notion of solitary existence. John Donne I think is the man that reminds us that no [hu]man is an island. We are all in this together. So me, protecting my self from hurts is pretty silly. They are going to happen, they are going to be a part of my story, but they won’t be all of my story!

No comments: