About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Journey of Solidarity...

So, I think it would be fair to say that people know I like the word, “solidarity”. It has inhabited a part of my soul for some time now. But when asked what solidarity means to me, I struggle to find an appropriate answer. Does solidarity mean that I understand a plight of a situation? Does it illicit an emotion? Does it hint at a deeper discernment? I think that true solidarity is all of the above questions, and also more.

I became a vegetarian for reasons of solidarity. Meat was such an explicit part of my diet. I grew up in the ranchlands of the plains of North America. My Grandparents sold their ranch in the last 6 years to my uncles. Meat was more than a staple, stable part of my lived experience. It was how I understood food, life, and nourishment. I was speaking about 5 years ago with a woman who had also become a vegetarian for reasons of solidarity. She grew up in the same part of the nation as I did, and had a similar family background. She spoke of the need to be deliberate about food. She mentioned the fact that not everyone does this. I have invested much time and energy into this thinking since changing my diet.
What I come away from this experience with a stronger realization is that I am more committed to remembering others when I eat. What I put into my mouth- flavored by minerals and nutrients from the earth is refreshing, and yet, I also realize is a bit of a treat as well. I have the luxury to be in solidarity. I have the luxury to decide what I will consume and how I will choose to eat.

During the summer I came a different understanding of this all. The men that I was working with were pretty curious about my reasons, granted I didn’t say because of issues of social justice and to reflect a sense of solidarity. The workers were appalled that I would not only refuse to eat carne (beef), but also that I would not even eat pollo (chicken). I found it fascinating that meat is not synonymous with both types of meat.

So what else can I do to be in solidarity? My prayer life is a fundamental aspect of my day, yet, how do I encapsulate such a basic part? Will prayer—the discipline of prayer has the ability to cause such a disruption in my life as my eating habits? What are the prayers of my daily living? How do I encompass this living—this prayer ever day? Is this choice that I make, to pray, to be spiritually healthy, one that I find fulfilling? Satisfying? Is life notoriously going to be fulfilling with or without a life of solidarity and prayer?

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Pretty thought provoking piece. I've run into the carne/pollo thing before too - reminds me of the line from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" - "What you mean you don't eat no meat? That's OK, I fix you lamb." I can appreciate you're thought of being deliberate in regard to your diet. We've choosen to be deliberate as well, and found a slightly different path - reducing our meat consumption and limiting it to locally and sustainably grown or wild. Anyway, you bring up good questions about solidarity and prayer life. Even more to ponder.