About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Words of Wisdom


I had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Wangari Maathia- the 2004 Nobel Peace Prize Recipient. She was awarded the Dignitas Humanea award- the highest honor from Saint John’s School of Theology•Seminary. There were many wise words that she imparted to the crowd- and yet I will highlight just a few.

“Most great people fall on untrodden ground.”

Our scriptures tell many of such stories, of men and women who continually fall. Whether their fall is due to their own inconsistencies, or if their fall is at the hand of another-nonetheless great people fall. But, the point of Dr. Maathai’s words is that the place where we fall is just as important. The untrodden ground also has a bearing in our scriptures. The sower throws seeds in many directions- some could even venture that it would be untrodden ground. This prompts reflection- “What kind of ground am I walking on? Am I forging a path that is unique to my experience?” Now, having questioned, I must put some disclaimer’s into the reflection. I do not mean to imply that my path will be unique- but rather, is it unique to my understanding? The other disclaimer- uniqueness should not imply a movement outside of the base of a community. Community should be at the heart of one’s experience.

“I did not go into the nunnery, but what you see is the nun in me.”

The next quote was one that I held close. When I decided to pursue ministry in parish settings- and then to go onto graduate school many people who knew me were not surprised. A question that I was asked often was “Do you plan to join a monastery or convent?” or “Have you thought about a vocation to the Religious life?”
When Dr. Maathai spoke these lines, I felt my heart skip a beat. There is such a tendency in my tradition that when a woman expresses an interest in matters of theology there is a knee jerk reaction to put her into a convent. That is not to diminish the kind words that others expressed to me. What comes to mind however, it that in order to really know myself is the fact that I do wrestle with that question on several levels. When Dr. Maathai articulated that sentiment, I felt my world come together in a manner of speaking. Such words seemed to validate the conclusions I have drawn about my own vocation and the journey I have been on as a result.

The finished result is one which reminds me of the need to pray. Maybe there should be a continued movement to pray not for vocations to the religious life or priesthood, but for clarity of direction in the lives of those who are choosing to deliberate the direction of their lives.

No comments: