About Me

My photo
I am a woman who is trying to continue to learn how to be a better person. The purpose of this blog is to help me to articulate my personal response to the world. This blog will allow for reflection, insight, and authentic understanding.

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Where are you from?

This question gets a lot of air play here in the DC area. It is said that no one is from DC, everyone is a transplant. As a result, one of the big questions apart from where do you work is where are you from. I was thinking about how I answer this question so differently depending on circumstances in conversation. I generally will begin my reply with, “Nebraska, but I actually moved here from Minnesota.” or something of that nature.

My question about this is I wonder if such a statement is really even necessary. People come different places, different geographical areas, different walks of life. Why is there a need to separate or to create a sense of space or differentiation in how we come to our place of habitation?

This, at first glance does not seem to be theological in nature, but it continually comes to me at different prayer times. I go back to the pericope of Jesus when he urges his disciples and followers to leave their homes behind and follow him. Is that what we are doing? Is that enough for today? Feed back would be wonderful…

No comments: